GCAT defines active transportation as non-motorized modes of transportation
To increase the quantity, quality and safety of active transportation in Guelph!
We will achieve our mission by:
- Establishing partnerships with residents & organizations to support the Coalition.
- Working with local government, businesses & residents to promote and achieve active transportation targets.
- Empowering people to participate effectively in the decision-making process related to active transportation planning & design.
- More commuters on bikes and walking; encourage people to use active modes of transportation for short trips.
- Communicate the positive aspects of active transportation through community events, bike rides, walks, newsletters & associated media.
- Advocating for change at City Hall.
- Select major arterials for redesign; encourage street & community design that provides safe, convenient, efficient and accessible use by people of all ages and abilities.
- Better bike security.
- Ensure that a dollar figure is attached to Bicycle Friendly Guelph Master Plan
- Working with city on various infrastructure projects such as the proposed Emma/Earl Bridge near Speedvale Ave, a proposed Speedvale Underpass, and other city infrastructure projects
- We would like to see the target from the City’s Cycling Master Plan raised from 3% to 6% by 2022.
Past and Present accomplishments:
- Building of Multi-use path along Woodlawn Road to benefit pedestrians, transit users, cyclists
- Increased awareness of cycling and walking as “normal” modes of transportation
- Hosting and supporting cycling events that encourage average citizens to cycle more: Magnolia Ride, Tweed Ride, “Love Your Bike” festival, Cycling with 2Rivers Festival, Guelph Santa Claus Parade, Active Transportation Parade
- advocating for reduced speeds around school zones
- Meeting with MPP Liz Sandals to discuss importance of trail connections re: Hanlan underpass and Woodlawn connection to G2G trail
- Partnering with the City of Guelph and bikemaps.org to create a database to find troublespots for cycling in the city in order to improve infrastructure